YouTube allows you to link to an external website usingso long as it’s your own domain. The list of sites you can link to also includes other videos on your channel, your playlist, YouTube channel, Google+ profile/page, Subscription page, Fundraising Project and Merch.
So how do you link to a
website you don’t own?
The best method to use is what’s called a “.” Google recommends this method when redirecting an old website or web page to a new one.
According to YouTube (which Google owns)…
Links to Associated Websites must not be used to redirect to unauthorized sites and must comply with our Community Guidelines, Terms of Service, and other policies for this feature. Violations can result in your videos being removed, strikes against your account, and/or termination of your YouTube account.
Sidebar:I’ve been successfully using themethod for several years however use this method at your own risk.
Here are some examples of annotations you can use within your
YouTube video to link to your Facebook page, Google+ page or Twitter…
Here are the steps to link YouTube annotations to Facebook
1. Make sure you are a YouTube partner
and have verified your account
. Check that the associated website annotations appears in the drop down list of annotations (as displayed in the above image).
2. Install the Pretty Link plugin for WordPress
- To do do this log in to your WordPress dashboard
- Go to plugins-add new and enter “pretty link” in the search box
- Click search plugins
- You’ll see “pretty link lite”
- Click “Install now”
- Click OK
- Activate plugin
You will see that it now appears in dashboard-plugins.
- Next go to your dashboard
- Click on “pretty link”
- Add new link
- In this new window you’ll select “301 permanent”
- The target URL will be the external link you want to link to
- And then you give a name, in this case call it “Facebook”
- And the title would be “Facebook Redirect”
- Click on “no follow”
- Click “create”
Now you’ve got the name plus it gives you number of hits and a link. If you enter the redirect link in the browser it will take you to the Facebook page.
3. Create an associated website annotation
- Go to your video manager and select the
video you wish to add annotations to
- Click the drop down box
- Click annotations
- Click add annotation
- Click spotlight and you’ll see that a
border goes around your Facebook icon
- Go to the paintbox and use the transparency option
- Click the link and from the drop down box select “associated website”
- Drop the Facebook redirect in there
- And then you just click “publish”
4. Check that your annotation links correctly to Facebook
- Enter the YouTube URL in your browser
- Click the Facebook icon
You’ll see that it goes to the Facebook page. Now you can have YouTube annotations that go to your Facebook page, Twitter or to any external website using the Pretty Link plugin from WordPress.
Discover how to fully optimize and run your YouTube channel like a pro with my HIGH QUALITY YOUTUBE TRAINING COURSE. Visit